Staunton’s Lost Architecture

19 West Johnson Street

Steele’s Tavern

(map)

DATE OF CONSTRUCTION:  1904. Alteration by the T.J. Collins and Son Architectural Firm (1911) A Store for Mr. T.J. Hounihan

BUSINESS HISTORY:  Maps indicate the building housed a saloon.  (1914) barber shop. (1921) auto sales. (1929) restaurant/saloon.

DEMOLITION DATE: 1986 after a minor fire

WHAT’S THERE NOW? Asphalt parking – and outdoor dining area for a vacant restaurant

PHOTOS:  HSF Archives